Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Will this blog see tomorrow?

     When I first went to our orientation meeting and heard what the seniors at the time had to say about the class and how fun it was and how the class was a different aspect on learning, I truthfully thought it was going to be a fluke. As my first day in class, I was expecting a traditional classroom surrounding with assignments to test our knowledge on the summer work to then come to a test later on down the road. Yet, it was almost the exact opposite of what I thought.
     The classroom itself isn't a room with plain walls and chairs all facing the front of the room, but is full of graffiti and quotes from amazing people that I as well as many have yet to learn about. Dr.Preston's class has a different vibe when you walk in his room and it leaves a very relaxing feeling when you step out of the room. With that said, the course itself and the needs in which we prepare for the AP Exam all fit what a 'normal course' would be just simply with a twist. The fact that the course is outlined with room for each student to make it a desirable learning experience is one in which most high school teachers try to avoid and keep out of the mind of each student. Most teachers like to teach what they know and stay to strict planning and standardized testing.
     With the Open Source Learning this year, I truly hope to take full advantage of the opportunity to turn a classroom full of high school seniors into my own project. Some may call it a 'senior project' but I am very convinced that this source of learning is far more helpful in comparison to the traditional textbook and paper method and thus hope to carry it on passed my last year in high school. This format of learning not only allows for my work to always be in my finger tips with the help of technology and the ability to use the internet on a mobile device, but it also gives my word some evidence to back up what I say. It gives colleges a chance to see what I am capable of and it lets scholarship committees know that I have put forth my work effort and by the end of the year I hope that I wont need words to describe myself anymore... i'll simply need a URL address.
     I am very excited to see what this years course has to offer me and hope that from the first opportunity to my last, I will be able to show exactly through I am on a resource that I will be proud to show others.

No comments:

Post a Comment